Daphna Katzor Laszlo Multidisciplinary art: sculpture and digital art
A NB Haifa School of Design graduate, Daphna is a versatile artist who was awarded the Fine-Arts Scholarship for photography by the Sharet Foundation (America-Israel Cultural Foundation). Daphna is the director of Studio Shoot. As a professional photographer with an accumulated experience of over 28 years, she engaged, among others, in portrait photography for the Israeli newspaper Ma’ariv, as well as in commercial photography (advertising and fashion) for institutes and companies. Daphna is an artist engaging in sculpture and artistic digital photography and displays her varied works in galleries and museums both in her native Israel and overseas.
Photographic Process Techniques
Photographic Process Techniques:
* Images are photographed with a classical or digital camera in the studio or in other environments.
* Digital images are processed, creating a work of art that is completely different from the original photograph images.
* The Adobe Photoshop software is used for altering digital images and integrating varied photographed details.
“The works of Daphna Katzor turn a collection of professional photographs from the realms of advertising and journalistic documentary into a unique artistic creation of a different scale and emit fresh messages.” (Ma’ariv, May 2003)
“The works present an illusive reality of relationships combining reality and imagination, fantasy and the everyday.” (N. Levy, Tel Aviv University Museum).
“This is a very interesting collection of single images, and I have to admit that some are quite extraordinary. Your technical skills level is advanced, allowing you to produce very interesting digital art, that arrests the eye and educates the soul. Speaking from a technical standpoint, your work combines elements of different fields but also different eras.
This particular feature gives your pictures a primordial feeling, that enhances the originality of the work. I like it a lot. I see great potential in this work, Daphna, and I firmly suggest you to keep on exploring the boundaries between photography and computer graphics.
My engagement with your work was an exciting and pleasant experience, and I am looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future. In a world flooded with photographs, it is important to make valuable work”
(Lens Culture Awards & Grants Reviewer Feedback 2019).
Sculpts in ceramics since 1990.
* Works are completely hand sculpted.
* Generally, works are created from a mass of clay.
* Occasionally, forms are created using the coil method.
* Works are painted with engobe underglaze, terra sigallata and various glazes.
*Sculptures are kiln fired.
“Anointed with a thin layer of surrealism, Daphna Katzor’s works juxtapose the world of dreams and fabrication with a clear, sharp message: The woman/girl standing alone faces the strong, dominant masculine world that desires her and exploits her for its ceremonies and needs…” (C. Givati, Director of Visual Arts, Natanya Cultural Hall)
2023 – International Donatello Prize at Villa Borghese, Florence, Italy
2021 – Honorable mention in the Fine Art (Other) category, as well as official selection, in the Tokyo International Foto Awards (TIFA)
2019 – Honorable mention in the Alternative-Processes category in the 14th international photography competition of the Pollux Awards, held by The British Gala Awards
2018 – Honorable mention in the Alternative-Processes category in the 11th edition of the photography competition of the Pollux Awards, held by The British Gala Awards
2015 – Finalist in the Landscape category and in the Alternative-Processes category of the 8th edition of the Julia Margaret Cameron international photography competition held by The British Gala Awards
2015 – First prize in the Primary-Colors category in the 8th edition of the photography competition of the Pollux Awards, held by The British Gala Awards
1982 – Awarded the Sharet Foundation (America-Israel Cultural Foundation) Fine-Arts Scholarship for photography
- Tel Aviv University Museum – “Illusions”, solo exhibition of photographic works (November 2002).
- Natanya Municipal Gallery – “Earth”, group exhibition, ceramic sculptures (December 2002).
- Natanya Cultural Hall, The Hall Gallery – solo exhibition of photographic works and ceramic sculpture as part of the International Woman’s Week Activities (February 2003).
- Ramat Gan, HaYahalom Theater – “On the Wings of Sculpting”, ceramic and bronze sculptures (September 2005).
- Bat Shlomo, Gallerina – “Portrait and Mask”, group exhibition, ceramic sculptures (August 2007).
- Paris, Atelier Z – “Les Artistes Israéliens”, group exhibiton, photographic works, canvas print (May 2008).
- Tel Aviv, Asia House – “The Israeli Artists”, group exhibition, photographic works, canvas print (June 2008).
- Jaffa, Amiad Centre – “She & He”, group exhibition, photographic works and bronze sculptures (June 2008).
- Bat Shlomo, Gallerina – “Ten Plus”, group exhibition, clay sculptures (August 2009).
- Doral, Florida, Museum of the Americas – “Women in the Arts 2010”, group exhibition, photographic works (April-May 2010).
- Berlin, Germany, Palazzo Italia – the 4th Biennial of Fine Art and Documentary Photography, group exhibition, photographic works (October 2016), Daphna was selected to exhibit in the biennial after being awarded first prize in the international Primary Colors photography competition held by The Gala Awards, which holds juried competitions for photographers from all around the globe, among which are the Pollux Annual Award and the Julia Margaret Cameron Award for women photographers.
- Songzhuang, Beijing, Czech China Contemporary Art Museum (CCCAM) – “Songzhuang Photo Biennale” (major part of 10thannual Songzhuang art festival), group exhibition, photographic works (September-October 2017).
- Identities and Relationship Between Man, Society and Contemporary Cities, Itsliquid international contemp-orary art show, Venice, Italy(2020).
- Awardees of the 14th international photography comp-etition of the Pollux Awards and the Julia Margaret Cameron Award, held by The British Gala Awards, Fotonostrum, Barcelona, Spain(2020).
- More is More, Rome, Italy, Rossocinabro Gallery, group exhibition(2020).
- “New Contemporary, The Unique World”, PAKS Gallery in Vienna, Austria, group exhibition(2022)
- “Art Between Thoughts and Spontaneity”, PAKS Gallery in Munich, Germany, group exhibition(2022)
- “From Thoughts to Artwork”, PAKS Gallery by the castle heidenreichstein in Austria(2022)
- V Bienal Internacional de Arte Contemporáneo de Argentina, Buenos Aires(2022)
FotoNostrum Gallery, Barcelona, Spain(2022)
- Art Cannes Biennale, France, organized by the MAMAG Modern Art Museum in cooperation with PAKS Gallery(2022)
- Basel Art Biennale, Switzreland, organized by the MAMAG Modern Art Museum in cooperation with PAKS Gallery(2022)
- The international Art Fair in the Carrousel du Louvre, Paris, France(2022)
- Yellow, international mixed-reality art exhibition, Milan, Italy, and Fuerteventura, Spain(2022)
- Luxembourg Expo, International Contemporary Art Fair, in cooperation with MONAT Gallery(2022)
- Paris Expo, International Contemporary Art Fair, France, in cooperation with MONAT Gallery(2022)
- “Unfolding Stories”, Nartwork A.P.S at Luciana Matalon Fondazione, Milano, Italy, group exhibition (2022)
- “Guardians of Dreams”, Milano, Italy, M.A.D.S Gallery, group exhibition (2022)
- International Donatello Prize at Villa Borghese, Florence, Italy (2023)
- “Woman’s Essence Show 2023, Labo 6/2 Gallery, Musa International Art Space, Berlin, Germany(2023)
- “Interconnecting Lines”, Museu Europeu d’Art Modern (MEAM) in collaboration with ArtioGallery, group exhibition, Barcelona, Spain(2023)
- Sicily Summer Art Expo, Museum of Ragusa, Musa International, Sicily, Italy(2023)